Friday, July 19, 2013

Camping in Eastern Kentucky

"On the road again
Just can't wait to get on the road again
The life I love is makin' music with my friends
And I can't wait to get on the road again
On the road again
Goin' places that I've never been
Seein' things that I may never see again,
And I can't wait to get on the road again."
 


 
 


Eastern Kentucky Mountains...so close together the fog touches mountain to mountain. The Kudzu consumes the mountains in it's forever growing greenness. The mountains...they're mystical and majestic...they're HOME.
 
We were on the road again. But this time, the long journey would take us to the mountains-to my hometown of Pike County, Kentucky and The Breaks Interstate Park located in Kentucky and Virginia. We were going camping with the family! If you recall, last year I blogged about taking a trip to Tennessee to see family and accidentally locking Baby Girl in the car (Road Blocks). That was a fun trip ; ) Well, this year we decided to meet in our hometown...the place where we all were raised during our elementary years.
 
The trip took a total of 7.5 hours but we split it up into two days, stopping to see The Hubs family along the way. The kids did awesome for the most part. Baby Girl watched a lot of t.v. in the car and of course Baby Boy slept ALOT!
 
We didn't really rough it this year. Since my sister and I both have babies under 6 months old we decided to rent a cottage instead of tent camping. Maybe next year, I'll be brave enough to try tent camping with the kids...hmmm let me think about that...NAHHHH!
 
My cousins brought their camper and so that's where we fellowshipped and grilled out!
 




Potty Training at It's Best!

 
Great Grandparents with their Great Grandkids

The Hubs and Baby Boy
 
 
 
 


 
 
 
 
During the week we went to the water park and took the kids paddle boat riding and fishing. They LOVED it! The whole trip was so exciting. I always enjoy getting to see the kids reaction to new things : ) We grilled out every night...pulled pork smoked by the awesome Cousin Charles, hot dogs and chicken and dumplins' by Sister V and MML and grilled chicken, new potatos and fresh green beans. Every day felt like a celebration of sorts...probably because we don't get to see each other often and when we do, it feels like  "old times."

Back in the day, all the cousins used to spend the night together and make home movies late into the night. We would laugh and laugh and laugh! Now that we're all grown up and live far away, we enjoy the small amount of time we do get to spend together.








 
"Momma Mayhem"

 
 









 
Grandparents Bottle Feeding Both Cousins


"Cousin Lovin"
 


The day that we went home, I was walking to the car when I heard my favorite bird singing- the beautiful Wood Thrush.  The Wood Thrush lives deep in the forest and is rarely seen but has a very melodious song. It's almost mystical. If you don't know what I'm talking about click here. Because of this, it's song is treasured. This reminds me of family. We rarely see each other but when we do, the sound of our fellowship and laughter is treasured. The quality time we spend together is missed when it's gone and the love that we share is always present.

Faith and Family are the only constant attributes we have in our life. Don't take for granted your loved ones and relish the time you have with them. Until Next Year Family!

Kim

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kim...as silly as this sounds I have to confess I came to read your blog at 5:30 am!!!! I have terrible night terrors sometimes and I just had one and of course Zachary is already gone for the day so I was left to calm myself. I instantly thought of your blog and remembered that everytime I read it Im so at ease and feel so inspired! Thanks :)


    Love Millie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Millie! You made my day and Im so glad that it gives you inspiration. Just writing this stuff down helps me so much. Thanks for the encouragement :)

    ReplyDelete