Friday, October 13, 2017

Do Christians Have Perfect Lives?

You know, even Christians have struggles sometimes. Our lives aren’t perfect. In this season of life, struggle seems to follow me and I am reminded of what Jesus said in the book of John. 

“I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.””
John 16:33 NLT

He said we would have trials! I’m glad Jesus was honest about this. But knowing that doesn’t make it easier. On one such struggling day, a hymn came to mind. It goes like this...

“My Hope is built on nothing less, than Jesus blood and righteousness. I dare not trust the sweetest frame but wholly lean on Jesus name.”

Friends, our lives aren’t meant to be easy. And the people in our lives weren’t put there to bring us joy and fulfillment. Did you know that song was written in 1834-183 years ago! Edward Mote most likely wrote that song as he was going to work and later used those lyrics to comfort a friend’s very ill wife. I find it completely fascinating that God put those lyrics on his mind so long ago and in the midst of struggle today, God placed those lyrics on my mind. Friends, God knows what He’s doing. Nothing happens by accident. 

When I heard that song, I was reminded that our joy is not found in things, people, vacations, family, etc. True joy comes from our Father. Look back at that verse in John. “Take heart! He has overcome the world.” When you are struggling, look for scripture, listen to songs, pray for peace. You may have struggles but you also have hope. And having that hope is a gift from your Father above. 





No comments:

Post a Comment