Thursday, July 25, 2019

Trailside Treehouse, Richmond VA


When school ended in June, I asked my kids to tell me a few things that were on their summer bucket list. That's when my oldest blurted, "I want to stay in a treehouse!"

My eyes narrowed and my mouth pursed shut as if to say, "Oh goodness. I asked the wrong question."

"Well, okay then,"I said apprehensively; wondering if treehouses even existed for people to stay in?

One google search later and yes indeed, a treehouse did exist and it was very close to home! The Trailside Treehouse, located in Richmond, Virginia featured a child's dream treehouse with comfortable bedding and tons of amenities that qualified this as a glamping staycation. I quickly got online and booked our overnight stay.


Check in wasn't until 4:00 PM, so we decided to start our staycation early with a trip to the movie theatre. May I just say, The Lion King was everything my own childlike memories had hoped for.
Next up, the treehouse!
The treehouse featured tons of play equipment including tube slide, rope ladder, swings, and even three hammocks!





The treehouse is located in the backyard of some very nice folks' home. They had thought of everything we could possibly need in order to make this trip go off without a hitch.


Play with your kids, take the picture. After all, their memory of you will far surpass any toy you could ever buy for them.
The inside of the treehouse had just as many surprising things to offer. Tons of games, snacks, toys, unique books, binoculars and hidden notes spread throughout. Even I felt like a kid again exploring every nook and cranny!


The kids found a rope and carabiner to carry their luggage up. : )


"It's sledgehammer time!"
Still laughing at that one.
What a unique way to show how games trump ipads anyday. 
There's only a couple pictures of Little Man because he spent most of his time exploring the treehouse by himself.
A note Little Lady found in the wall. 

Each person deserves a day in which no problems are confronted, no solutions searched for. Each of us needs to withdraw from the cares which will not withdraw from us. -Maya Angelou


The kids were in heaven with all the snacks to choose from!


Little Lady discovered a Magic 8 Ball.
I found them quietly playing upstairs that evening. No one fought the whole time. What is this madness?
Little Man yelled from the top of the treehouse, "Dad, come quick. There's a real live tree up here." When Dale came up, he discovered this. Haha!
The basement of the Host's house featured more snacks, drinks, lounging space and a full bathroom!


That evening we had planned to grill hot dogs but since it had rained all day, our plans had to change. So Dale found us this cute little restaurant only 3/4 of a mile away called, The Little Nickel.
The food was unique and the presentation on point. The server was helpful in explaining some of his favorites since the ingredients listed in entrees was unrecognizable to me. I ended up getting a cod sandwich with slaw...layman's terms. Hahaha!

When we came back home, the rain had cleared and the sun was shining, just in time for dessert-smores over a fire.








"Good Night!"
After a peaceful night of sleep, we awoke to the sounds of morning and went on a hike through parts of the Buttermilk Trail, located in the James River Park System.

We had to discuss what a Sasquatch was. Hahaha!

I told the kids that once they crossed through the arbor, we were in a magical forest.












The James River will always be one of my most favorite parts of living here.
As I close this story on our lives, I'd like share a note I found while searching through the treehouse. It must have been meant to be as this has always been my thought on life.

"Telling another human that they're valuable to this world and that they can brighten any darkness."
-Author Unknown.















No comments:

Post a Comment