Thursday, September 17, 2015

Fiercely Confident

It should be socially acceptable to do the Whip Nae Nae  while running at the gym, right?! At least, that's what I secretly wanted to do today. 

"Ooh watch me, watch me. Ooh watch me, watch me."

In my head, I was singing when a fellow runner dressed in a black hoodie decided to join me on the next treadmill. It caught me off guard because I was in my zone. And what he didn't know was that he had become my competition.
 
Shhh! Don't tell anybody. I secretly compete with my fellow runners to see if I can outlast them. Bahahahahha! I've done it before too. There was this one time, this "young thing" teenager decided to run beside me in her shorty shorts. And I was over there like,"Oh yah, well I may not be able to-or want to for that matter- wear those shorty shorts. But girl, I've birthed three children and that means I can outlast you running."

I know! I know! It sounds horrible. But as you are reading this, you secretly want to know if I outran her. And I'm here to say,"Yes. I. Did!"

But in all honesty, I am really really enjoying running again. You all know I did the stair elliptical machine 'til I was 36 weeks pregnant and then took a short break after having Tiny. I thought it would affect my endurance because I stopped, but it didn't!

About a month ago, I told myself it was time to try again. I said I'd just run 5 minutes. Well I felt so good, I ended up running 10. And since then, I've increased. But today, I ran 30 minutes without stopping! Woohoo! My confidence was on fire. Which brings to my final thoughts.

Running for me is so cathartic. It makes me feel good about myself-something I've never been good at. But it's the act of accomplishing something incredibly hard that makes me say,"Wow! Ooh watch me, watch me!"

I looked at my treadmill accomplishments and said, "Yah, I could blog those numbers but it don't really mean a thing." What really is important is that I believe in me. No longer does my treadmill subconsciously say that awful F word "Fat." You see, now my treadmill says that beautiful F word, Fiercely Confident. And to beat it all, I know that's what makes a woman beautiful. Not what size clothes she wears, the number on the scale or even what her husband thinks of her. What makes a woman beautiful is being Fiercely Confident in herself.

Have you looked up the word fiercely lately? One definition is "showing a heartfelt and powerful intensity." Are you intensely confident in yourself? Do your kids know you think you are great in every way? What about your husband? Confidence can be sexier than your body, you know. What does your treadmill say? 

And finally, I know you want to know. Did I outrun the guy in the black hoodie? You guess?

As I'm mindfully singing,"You already know what it is. Now watch me whip, watch me nae nae," he pressed stop on his treadmill and I Kept. On. Going- Secretly smiling because I had beat my competition :).








No comments:

Post a Comment