Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Asheville, North Carolina-A Romantic Getaway

The Hubs and I really needed some time away. But living so far from family made it inconvenient to find that time. It had been over a year since we had went on a trip together alone. Unbeknownst to me, Dale planned a secret weekend getaway for just the two of us. He asked his parents to watch the kids and when all was set up, one night he spilled the beans.

"Kim, I'm so excited! I have to tell you something. But I don't want to tell you the where, just the what." 

I looked at him with a smile and said,"Alright Dale. But you're going to have to tell me everything because I know you, and you look too excited to hold it in."

"Well are you sure you want to know?"

After some back and forth, he finally told me his special surprise. He had planned a trip to Asheville, North Carolina for us, tickets to the Biltmore, a cozy cottage to stay in, everything was already taken care of. He is so romantic; that's what I love about him.

So about two weeks later, we were on our way to Asheville. Childcare was provided by Momaw and Popaw St.Clair. So over the hill and threw the woods to the grandparents' house we went!


Love that chocolatey smile. This was her first trip away without me! But I knew she would be well taken care of and loved on.
We stayed in the Asheville Cottages, a one bedroom house complete with the softest spa sheets you could imagine, Sleep Number Bed, Gilgrist and Soames Shampoo and Body Wash and a smorgasbord of muffins, juice, and cider.
Perfectly romantic:)

Day 1: Biltmore Estate, Winery and Tupelo Honey Cafe

On our first day, we visited the Biltmore Mansion. At this specific time of year, the event featured was Fashionable Romance: Wedding Gowns in Film. It was so neat to see the actual gowns displayed in movies such as Emma and Pride and Prejudice.



I've always wanted to hear the history behind the Biltmore. So we each purchased the audio guide to listen to as we went room by room. I definitely recommend the audio tour if you are a bit of a history nerd.
The breathtaking view from the loggia-otherwise known as the back porch;)
The mansion was decorated with fresh flowers everywhere, as if a real wedding was about to start.

Ms.Bingley's gown from Pride and Prejudice.
Emma's wedding gown worn by Gwenyth Paltrow.

The Biltmore actually has a bowling alley! It's said that the servants would stand at the end and set the pins up while the guests would play.
The indoor pool would be filled up from a mountain top reservoir but would have to be drained after about three days because no  water filtration system was available.
The kitchen was fit for a king:)
Next on our list of places to visit was the Biltmore Gardens. This place was special to Dale and I because 12 years prior, this is where we were engaged.

Walking to the Bass Pond. You can see the floating gazebo to the left where he proposed:)


Of course, I'm willing to go up to anyone and ask them to take our picture. So when I spied a young couple coming our way, I explained why this place held
so much significance to us and they gladly took our picture.

After a long day of walking and visiting the Antler Hill Winery on the Biltmore property, we sat down to dinner at a fabulous restaurant called Tupelo Honey Cafe.
Fried Green Tomatoes on a bed of grits...oh so southern.
Scratch made biscuits and a Honeysuckle Lavender Flip cocktail for me and Tupelo Honey Rye Ale for The Hubs.

On Day Two we found a Pottery Barn Outlet about 80 miles away. Soooo, since having a slight obsession with all things Pottery Barn and discount we hopped in the car and spent the morning at the outlet mall. That evening we decided to venture out to Downtown Asheville. The waitress at Tupelo suggested we go "people watching" when I told her we needed non-touristy things to do. At first, I thought it was odd for her to say we should people watch but once we drove downtown, I understood perfectly. Downtown Asheville was full of life from the young college age, to the retired enjoying life age and you cant forget to mention the unique hippy crowd. Your eyes had so much to take in!
Here is a picture Dale took of a unique wall we found..."Before I die" wall.
After walking around and visiting a few stores, it was time for dinner. We had already made reservations at a quiet restaurant called Chestnut. 
The restaurant was said to have reflected the era in which it was built, 1924. As soon as we stepped inside, we did notice the quiet romantic atmosphere.
The trout was amazing!
Last on our list of things to do was visit the French Broad Chocolate Lounge. We had read that for the chocolate lovers this was the place to be, from drinking chocolate to chocolate truffles and chocolate cake, there was something for everyone. Behind the fence, you can see a long line of people waiting to get in. Well worth the wait :)

Coffee and cake to finish the night was special but spending the weekend with my love was priceless.
I need to always remember these moments. The easiness of our love combined with the qualities of a best friendship makes him absolutely perfect. I'm forever thankful to God for bringing him into my life so long ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment