Friday, March 16, 2018

You May Not Have Candy for Lunch


Being three is so hard. Okay, I’m not gonna lie. It’s really hard for me. Three is a transitional age. Three year olds begin to lose their babyness and want more autonomy. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard her determined voice say,”I can do it myself.”

It’s an age of frustration when she can’t get her way ALL the time. “No you may not have ice cream for breakfast.” And without fail, there are the tears...the big crocodile tears that dramatically declare,"My life is horrible!"

But it’s also the age of distraction; when I can outsmart her by quickly picking her up to say, "Hey come look at this cool thing.” Or, “Let me tell you a secret.” Like I've just performed a miracle, the tears shut off immediately and curiosity ensues.

But my most favorite quality about my three year old is that she still needs a lot of love. She’ll curl up on the couch with me and fall fast asleep in my arms. I’ll kiss the top of her head and whisper a praise of thankfulness for this beautiful blessing. Her eyes will flutter open and then she'll wrap her arms around me and say,”I love you a bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck." My heart swells.

Then with wonder in her eyes followed by a few batting eye lashes she’ll say,”Momma can I pweeze have candy for lunch.” And well, you get where I’m going with this. The battle continues as I begrudgingly have to say, “I love you sweet baby but no, you may NOT have candy for lunch.”

No comments:

Post a Comment