Wednesday, October 23, 2013

To Give It Up or Keep It Going?


So I've been wrestling with the idea of giving up the blog. For one, when I started the blog a little over a year ago, my main goal was to be a positive example in the world for moms. I really wanted to be authentic and not sugar coat things. And I believe that it has worked-for the most part. Part of the issue with me putting my life out there is being willing to take the judgment and criticism of others. I know I've got to grow a tougher skin when it comes to family and friends passing unnecessary judgments. But I have to admit, it still bothers me. Am I really willing to put it all out there!?
 
And the blog has grown significantly in the last year-averaging about 150 views per post with steady followers in India, Canada and Russia. I feel like it has been helpful to some women because I do get emails from others saying that, "They too, have been in similar situations and are glad they're not alone." But the issue of privacy has come up a lot. My goal was not for people to blog stalk me but to get something out of it and respond with comments. And right now, hardly anyone comments although I know they are reading thanks to Google Analytics. And not saying it's a bad thing to just read people's posts (I do it too). But it would be encouraging if people responded more...at least I wouldn't think they were just trying to be a "fly on my wall."
 
So what should I do? I'm praying about it. Toying with the idea of making it a private blog...or leaving it the same? I feel called to put myself out there. To explain the truth as an introspective woman sees it. To openly discuss my thoughts about God and relationships. I want to blog for a purpose. Is this really what God intends for me to do?


 

 

2 comments:

  1. Kim, I just tried to enter this comment 5 times from my phone and it was too challenging so I came into my regular pc to write it! Here are my two cents about this if you want them (and I actually read something similar to this on one of the other blogs I "stalk" recently :) If every artist stop creating because no one responded to their creation there would be no art, and who would want to be in that world? I rarely comment on the blogs I read mostly because I read from my phone where it is awkward to comment anything worthwhile from, or I'm doing something else with my typing hand while I read :) Keep writing girl, it is a good outlet for you to get out some of these great introspective thoughts on life that you have. Even if no one ever reads it but you, you will be able to go back and read years from now and remember how you felt, or see how you have grown as a mother, or see how your kids have changed...My vote is don't stop! It's worth it. If it makes you feel any better, the only people that comment on my blog regularly anymore are my mother and and mother in law...I used to get tons of comments, I seriously keep it up just for me and them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just thought of another reason why people may not comment. The word verification that you have to type in at the end is really hard to read. It took me three tries. I totally get its purpose, I think I have it on mine as well! But seriously, the first one was impossible to see!

    ReplyDelete