Sunday, December 30, 2012

Sunday Drives




MML was singing in the car. The three kids were singing in the car. It was weekend drives with my mamow that made growing up very special to my sister, brother and me. We’d drive all over town, pick up an ice cream at Dairy Cheer,  stop the car at a gas station with real service.  The man who pumped our gas would give us a whole pack of Juicy Fruit chewing gum! And we’d drive all the way to my great grandmother’s house, where we’d lay on our bellies on the textured orange carpet 10 inches from the tv, eating popcorn and Diet 7 UP. Awww…those were the good ole days.

The sweetest moments in life aren’t when you open an expensive Christmas gift, get a promotion or buy a new car. The really sweet moments are spending times with the people that matter most—your family. Like Sunday drives …I treasure those times.  

Most Sundays, The Hubs, Baby Girl and I drive down a country back road just to look around because we aren’t quite ready to head back to the city. The Hubs and I talk about the preacher’s message and Baby Girl sleeps soundly in the back, overtaken by the quiet rumble of the car in motion. We always end up at the house we hope to get. The doors are locked but we still walk around and talk about what we want to do to the house…if we get it. Then we hop back in the car and listen to the song, “Only a Mountain” by Jason Castro.

This is only a mountain

You don’t have to find your way around it

Tell it to move, it’ll move

Tell it to fall, it’ll fall

This is only a moment

You don’t have to let your fear control it

Tell it to move, it’ll move

Tell it to fall, it’ll fall

 

I silently brood to God about how we look like idiots. It’s been over a year and a half since we moved and we haven’t yet claimed a piece of land as our own. But then I think of the verse, “Be still and know that I’m God” (Psalm 46:10) and “And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them” (Romans 8:28) -- and I have hope again.

No comments:

Post a Comment