Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Growing Up Southern, Living as City Folk


Driving down a busy street in western Richmond, Virginia I headed to an OB appointment. The radio was blasting. This was supposed to have been a 15 minute drive and with all the traffic it took me 30 minutes to get to the doctor. The song, "Southern Comfort Zone" by Brad Paisley began playing and I listened to the lyrics, caught up in the truth of them all.

When your wheelhouse is the land of cotton,
The first time you leave it can be strange, it can be shocking (definitely true for me)Not everybody drives a truck, not everybody drinks sweet tea (this is absolutely true!)
Not everybody owns a gun, wears a ball cap boots and jeans
Not everybody goes to church or watches every nascar race
Not everybody knows the words to "Ring Of Fire" or "Amazing Grace" (I do...and I'm probably the only one here that does)

Oh, Dixie Land,
I hope you understand
When I miss my Tennessee Home (or in my case-Kentucky home)
And I been away way too long
I can't see this world unless I go
Outside my Southern Comfort Zone

And I thought about how this southern girl could pass for a city folk...with my aggressive driving and endless knowledge of the Starbucks Menu (make that a tall-no grande, iced coffee with skim milk and a shot of mocha please).

But deep down...when you're born southern...it's always in your blood. I love living in the city...and the conveniences...and the seemingly endless opportunities to do things. Who wouldn't want to be an hour and a half from the coast and two hours from D.C?

Eastern Kentucky Mountains
But driving down that concrete road with all the buildings looming before me, I missed the sounds of quiet...of nothing. Now that it's almost spring, every morning I wake up to subtle hints that spring's a comin! Have you noticed the birds chirping lately? I have. Have you noticed the little tiny buds on the trees? I have. You see, that's a southern thing too! When you're born country, you learn to respect the earth and understand that God is in it ALL! You learn that when the leaves blow upside down-a storm's a comin. You pay attention to the earth's clues. 

Brad Paisely continued singing...

I have walked the streets of Rome, I have been to foreign lands
I know what it's like to talk and have nobody understand (Amen to that)
I have seen the Eiffel Tower lit up on a paris night
I have kissed a West Coast girl underneath the Northern Lights
I know what it's like to meet the only one like me,
To take a good hard look around and be a minority (the only country mouse in this city)

And I Miss my tennessee home
I can see the ways that I grown
I can't see this world unless I go
Outside my Southern Comfort Zone


Brad Paisley certainly got this song right. The other day, I was sitting in a city coffee shop that had a play area for children and I asked a mother there what I thought was a normal question.

"Does your child like to woller you, as much as mine does me?"

She looked at me kind of funny and said, "Excuse me?"

"Oh translation here...right," I thought in my head. "Does your child like to hang all over you?" I rephrased.

"Oh yes. Yes-she does."

Breaks Interstate Park, VA
And that was the end of that conversation! Hahha!  I find that more funny than anything else. But speaking of children, I so badly want Baby Girl and Baby Boy to appreciate their southern roots. So I think I've come up with a list of topics I hope they will always grasp from their southern momma and daddy.

1) Listen to Bluegrass...I do! In the car, I make sure Baby Girl hears some bluegrass every now and then. It's remarkable how at peace I feel, just by listening to it. I'm proud to teach her our culture.

2) Always Respect Your Momma and Daddy...I love my children very much and I hope they understand that I'd do anything for them and because of that...I want them to respect us for the people we are and the sacrifices we've given to them.

3) Don't Go Above Your Raisin'...always always always remain humble. Giving to others without expecting anything in return. Don't ever think you are better than anyone else. Treat others kindly.

4) Blood is Thicker Than Water...in the end your family are the only people that will stick by you no matter what. Make sure you keep them close...even if you are three hours away.

5) Respect the Earth...listen to the clues the earth gives you. Think about the old sayings that tell of harsh winters and comfortable summers. Listen to the birds...and when you do...you'll hear a whole new world open up to your ears. Look at the trees. Listen to the rushing water...because in the end-they will be here much longer than you will.

6) Last but not least, YOUR GOD is always with you. In the toughest of times and in the best of times.Keep HIM only a prayer away. HE listens-even when you think HE'S not.

And so this is my southern blog. I'll probably be the only one that reads it but that's okay...because it reminds me of a much simpler time. Back when I was a little girl with legs covered in bug bites, playing Cops and Robbers with my neighbor, sister and brother until dark, knowing it was  time to go inside when I heard the frogs begin to sing their night time songs.

Good Night All My Southern Friends, Sleep Tight...


Cherokee Lake, TN

Mt. Rogers, VA

Mt. Rogers, VA

Seven Mile Mountain, VA

Seven Mile Mountain, VA

Peaks of Otter, VA

Peaks of Otter, VA

No comments:

Post a Comment