Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Easy Recipes For Pretend Chefs Like Me

It's no secret that I don't like cooking...okay HATE cooking! I just hate all the skillets, and ingredients, and raw meat! Awwww! But even though I hate cooking, I LOVE baking. It just seems to offer a better reward than cooking supper every night, don't you think!

Another idea for a blog I've been having is Easy Recipes for Pretend Chefs like myself. If the recipe calls for odd things I have to ask someone in the grocery store for, forget it. If the recipe calls for 15 odd things I have to buy--Forget It! Give me something easy! Something I can find in my pantry! Something my husband can take left overs to work with and people say, "Ummmm your wife is a good cook!" While I secretly snicker because the secret ingredient was really Velveeta Cheese.

So here's my first recipe I found in a magazine...Gram's Chicken Pot Pie.

1 lb.  boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
2 Tbsp.  KRAFT Zesty Italian Dressing
2cups  frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, corn, green beans, peas)
1can  (10-3/4 oz.) condensed cream of chicken soup
1/4 lb.  (4 oz.) VELVEETA®, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1sheet  frozen puff pastry (1/2 of 17.3-oz. pkg.), thawed (Tip: If you're an idiot like me looking all over the store for this...look in the section with the Kool Whip. Don't ask me why it's there but that's where I found it!)
1 egg, beaten
 
HEAT oven to 400ºF.
COOK and stir chicken in dressing in large skillet on medium heat 5 min. or until chicken is done. Stir in vegetables and soup. Spoon into 9-inch square baking dish sprayed with cooking spray; top with VELVEETA.
UNFOLD pastry sheet; place over chicken mixture. Fold under edges of pastry; press onto top of baking dish to seal. Brush with egg. Cut several slits in pastry to permit steam to escape. Place dish on baking sheet.
BAKE 30 min. or until crust is deep golden brown. Let stand 5 min. before serving.

How to Thaw Pastry Sheets
Remove pastry sheet from freezer; cover with plastic wrap. Thaw at room temperature 30 min. or in refrigerator 4 hours. Thawed wrapped pastry sheets can be stored up to 2 days in refrigerator.
True to My Word: The Hubs got asked the next day, why I was such a good cook. I told him to tell them, "The Secret's in the Sauce." 

To All My Pretend Chef's Out There,
Good Luck-The Grocery Store Can Be a Dangerous Place ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment