Sunday, June 10, 2018

I'd Rather Be With You, Than Anyone Else


August 2000

This weekend we went tent camping in Craig County, Virginia. During our trip, we stopped by Dale’s old homeplace and took a picture at “our tree.” Comparing the picture to the one we took 18 years ago, I noticed that a lot has changed. But if I asked myself if I wanted to go back in time, the answer would be no. I love this stage of life with him. We can be comfortably silent and still enjoy each other’s company. We get to dream of trips with the kids and how we want our life to look. We get to go on dates to Lowes and Target and I love the simplicity of it all. 

We do have disagreements but always want peace. There was a point in life when I realized 18 years was too great a time span to give up on the good life. After all, things always do get better. Yes, we have lines on our faces and thicker waist bands but three youthful children to admire. When we hold hands it used to mean, “I love this feeling.” But now, it’s to say,”I love YOU.” I often feel that Dale and I were placed together early on to show that commitment is achievable. That’s not to say we haven’t done and said things we dont   regret. Oh yes, we've been spitfire mad at each other. There was that time a whole breakfast ended up in the trash can because something mean was said. Oh and several times we've cooled off in the garage. But at the end of the day, I’d rather Netflix and Chill with him, than anyone else. I'd rather cook him breakfast than throw it away. And yes, I'd rather see him slowly open the garage door to find me fuming in a camping chair, than anyone else.  Too many beautiful memories have been made to give it all away. He’s my past, my present and my future. 


June 10, 2018