Saturday, July 14, 2012

How Do I Love The Unlovable?

Dear God,
Sometimes, I don’t want to be called a Christian or a Sunday Church Goer. Sometimes, I’m more embarrassed with the title then I’m proud of it. Gosh, YOU must be shaking your head at me now. But let me explain…it makes perfect sense (at least, to me it does). So many times I’m hurt by those “church people.” They can be the meanest and downright ugliest. But God, I know you say that I’m supposed to forgive them-or how else can you forgive me? (Matthew 6:14) God I know I’m no better but how am I supposed to forgive? I’m a human…sometimes I’d rather be angry than to forgive. And how do I forgive those who don’t even realize the’ve hurt me? They are the most unlovable. How do I love THE UNLOVABLE?
Questioning,
Kim

This is a conversation I’ve had with myself for many years but most recently, it’s the one God has been working on in me with intense pressure. Dale and I had a church friend hurt us badly. We were shocked and disappointed. We lost our trust in them.
So many times as Christians we don’t listen to God’s words. He says in Matthew 18:15, “If another believer sins against you, go privately and point out the offense. If the other person listens and confesses it, you have won that person back.” I know for myself it’s  much EASIER to fume on the inside then it is to confront the person…but then again it isn’t really easier. Hating your enemy is like you drinking poison and expecting it to kill your enemy. That just doesn’t happen! A lot of UNNECESSARY problems could be solved by confrontation. But it’s so hard.
Now, I’m going to tell you how I’ve sinned in the past. I go to the phone instead of the throne. Instead of talking to God and then confronting my friend, I pick up the phone and call someone else to vent to- usually, my sister.
“Can you believe she did that to ME" I say in my most 14 year old drama lovin voice.  And lalalalala the conversation goes on and on. I spit negative words to my sister, instead of trying to think of a positive way to solve the problem.
James 4:11 says this, “Don’t speak evil against each other, dear brothers and sisters. If you criticize and judge each other, then you are criticizing and judging God’s law. But your job is to obey the law, not to judge whether it applies to you.”
I LOVE THAT. Why can’t I do that? There’s no excuse. It would be better for me to forgive people on a continual basis. And it’s not right for me to criticize them. I’m doing nothing good to solve the problem (that's the most double negative/bad grammar sentence I've ever written : ).
Go back to Matthew 18 and skip a few verses down. Then Peter came to him and asked, “Lord, how often should I forgive someone who sins against me? Seven times?”

“No, not seven times,” Jesus replied, “but seventy times seven! Matthew 18:21-22
Friends, it is a tough battle to forgive others-especially Christians. But God asks us to forgive continually. He knows that in this life people are going to hurt you (multiple times) and the road to forgiveness is ROCKY. When you get over one hurt there will be another waiting for you. But if we can practice this thing called “mercy” we will be whole, happy and free.
I’m so glad I wrote this blog...for myself. This study of forgiveness has been GOOD for my SOUL.
Wishing You Mercy and Peace In Your Own Battles Towards Forgiveness,
Kim


No comments:

Post a Comment